Frugal | Gifts Under €25
What: A set of 12 pencils in the style of the original polygrade pencils. The range is from 5B–5H.
Why: All watercolor artists need a good pencil, whether for sketching or for transferring drawings. These pencils are a fun option and very unique. What makes these special is that they are a limited edition group of pencils from a reputable manufacturer that make you feel like you are using a pencil from 1837.
- Limited edition “Polygrades” to mark Lothar von Faber’s 200th birthday
- A.W. Faber „Polygrades” Jubiläums-Edition – Lexikaliker
- A.W. Faber Polygrades: Old and New | Contrapuntalism
What: A set of six gold and silver watercolor paints.
Why: These paint are lightfast, handmade in Germany by a family-owned company, and vegan friendly. If you are looking for an awesome gold paint, you can stop searching. These are the best! I have never seen another gold paint that replicates real gold so well.
- Creating Gold Calligraphy: How to Use the Finetec Palette | The Postman’s Knock
- Doodlewash® ~ DOODLEWASH REVIEW: FineTec Pearlcolors, Kuretake Gold Ink
What: A tin of water-soluble graphite.
Why: this water-soluble graphite is made by a family-owned company in Portugal. They are one of the oldest pencil manufacturers in Europe, so they know their graphite. I love this water-soluble graphite, and it is really useful for sketching or learning to paint with values. If you only have one pain in your travel kit, this would be it.
- Review of ArtGraf Water Soluble Graphite - painting on paper - Belinda Del Pesco
- Review: Viarco’s ARTGRAF watercolour graphite set | Parka Blogs
- Doodlewash® ~ DOODLEWASH REVIEW: ArtGraf
- Review: Viarco ArtGraf Watercolor Graphite Set — Cole Imperi
Mid-Range | Gifts $26–75
What: A super adjustable easel.
Why: You need to take care of your neck and your back! It’s very easy to hurt your back bending over a table painting watercolors. This easel is the solution. It can adjust in many different ways and hold both papers and canvas.
What: Sets of vegan Handmade watercolors in half pans.
Why: These paints are super high quality, very pigmented, and a great deal. They are handmade by an artist in Berlin, they are vegan, and some of the funds go to workshops that teach art to a wider audience. So not only are you getting unique paint, but you are supporting a good cause!
- Review - Eventually, Everything Mixes - Handcrafted artist-quality vegan & cruelty-free wc paints - EveBolt
- Art Supply Review: Eventually Everything Mixes — Sadie Saves the Day!
3. Kolinsky Sable Brushes (€27-€68)
- DA VINCI Kolinsky Brushes Series 5359 (27,16 €)
- Kolibri Watercolor Brushes 2,4,6,8 ($28)
- Rosemary & Co Artist Brushes, Set of 3 (£59.00)
What: Kolinsky Sable brushes made by three different manufacturers at three different price points.
Da Vinci - there isn’t much to say about this brand, only because everybody knows that they are synonymous with quality. These are some of the best of the best. Every single brush that I have bought from da Vinci has been beautiful and amazing. They are robust and the points remain over time.
- handprint : how watercolor brushes are made
- Review: Da Vinci Maestro Travel Pocket Brush | Parka Blogs
Kolibri - This is probably not a very well-known brand, especially not outside of Germany. However this small family company has been making brushes for a long time. They have a small line of Kolinsky Sable brushes, called their gold line, which is an amazing value for the money. Some even say they are better than the Winsor and Newton Series 7s! Most cheap Kolinsky Sable brushes are not worth your time or mine, but these are excellent and I use them daily.
- Künstlerpinsel - Künstlerbedarf › Kolibri
- Kolibri Brushes - Artists BrushesFeurer & Sohn GmbH
Kolibri Brushes Germany - Making Stuff
- REVIEW: BRUSH CLASH KOLIBRI vs WINSOR & NEWTON - Scar_hand Painting
Rosemary & Co. - I don’t personally have experience with this brand, but this small, woman-owned company is the favorite of many watercolorists.
- Which Brush should I get? Opening my Rosemary & Co Brushes Catalogue - ooooh! - Shoo Rayner
- Rosemary&Co Brushes My Review - Faron Adams
- Rosemary and Co Brushes a brief review with a cautionary tale | Miniature Painters Guild | BoardGameGeek
- Brushes review: Winsor & Newton series 7 vs Rosemary • Chest of Colors
- The Importance of QualitY: Rosemary & Co Brushes | MyRitual
All Out | Gifts Over $75
What: A set of 22 Rembrandt artist grade watercolor half pans in a wooden box with a porcelain palette.
Why: This Dutch brand is high quality, and the watercolor paints have a full range of colors. Not only that, but every watercolorist would be happy to have a ceramic palette to paint on.
- Rembrandt Watercolors Good? - WetCanvas
- Rembrandt Watercolor Review — Scratchmade Journal
- Doodlewash® ~ DOODLEWASH REVIEW: Rembrandt Professional + Ecoline Watercolors
- Rembrandt Artist Watercolors - Owings Art
- Jane Blundell Artist: Rembrandt Watercolours
- handprint : watercolor brands
What: This is a set of 10 tubes of water colors, one porcelain palette, to brushes, and one towel.
Why: Of course Sennelier is a brand that is renowned for making watercolors that are vibrant with a special ability to glaze effortlessly. But this set is also just extremely convenient. It has everything that you need to paint except for water. I’m actually surprised that they included towel, because this is an aspect that most watercolor kits miss.
- Doodlewash® ~ DOODLEWASH REVIEW- Schmincke, Sennelier, MaimeriBlu
- Is Sennelier a good brand? - WetCanvas
- Review: Sennelier Artist Watercolors | Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog
- meandering mari: My Favorite Watercolor Paints
- Jane Blundell Artist: Sennelier Watercolours
- handprint : watercolor brands
What: 24 tcubes of Schmincke watercolors in a wooden box with a porcelain palette.
Why: There isn’t a single watercolorist who would be upset if you gifted them this set of watercolors. You get a full range of Schmincke’s colors plus a huge palette to paint with. What more could you want?
- Schmincke Horadam 24 watercolour set full review, swatches & lightfastness - Andi design
- Review: Schmincke Horadam Watercolors | the mind of michelle
Over the Top! – Over $250
What: A set of 80 extremely highly pigmented watercolor pencils
Why: some of the colors in this set are only available through this gift box. You cannot get them in any other set. Since these are definitely the best watercolor pencils around, it is a great gift to get not just the basic set, but the full range of colors!
- Caran d’Ache Museum Aquarelle Review - Owings Art
- Fueled by Clouds & Coffee: Product Review: Caran d’Ache Museum Aquarelle Pencils
- Faber Castell Albrecht Durer/Caran D’Ache Supracolor/Caran D’Ache Museum Aquarelle Comparison chart | Lung Sketching Scrolls